In 1968, Bishop Charles P. Greco approved the establishment of Holy Cross as a non-territorial campus parish to serve the then named Northwestern State College, now known as Northwestern State University or NSU. Holy Cross is still the only campus parish in the Diocese.
Welcome to Holy Cross Catholic Church, located in Natchitoches, Louisiana, where we've been 'bringing Christ to people and people to Christ" for the past 95 years.
Whether you are a student of Northwestern State University, or a parent, university faculty member, administrator, alumnus, community member or visitor, we welcome you to our small, but active congregation!
- Wednesday Night Suppers -- Every week of the Fall and Spring semesters, a free home-cooked meal is served to NSU students. Meals start at 6:30 p.m. in the Holy Cross Church Hall. Any NSU student is welcome to visit for food, fun, and fellowship!
- Religious Adult Christian Initiation (RCIA) -- If you, or anyone you know, are interested in becoming a Catholic or learning more about the Catholic faith, please call the office to find out more about our RCIA classes.
- NSULA Scripture Study -- Thursday nights during semester at 8:00 pm at the Catholic Student Center
- Bible Study -- Weekly bible study classes are held at the church and are open to anyone.
- Awakening Retreat -- Held once a year, the Awakening Retreat is an opporunity for young adults to grow in their spirituality.
- Catholic Student Center -- 120 Second St., Natchitoches. Includes: lounge/TV, kitchen, resource library, coffee bar, pool table and foosball, sports equipment and Campus Ministry Office. Hours: Tuesday/Thursday, 3:00 pm-Midnight; Friday/Saturday, Midnight to 2:00 am; Sunday, 3:00 pm-Midnight. Closed Monday.
- Eucharistic Adoration Chapel -- This beautiful chapel was built and created by the help and donations of Holy Cross parishioners and the Natchitoches community. Each week, hundreds of hours are spent at the chapel in a richly prayerful environment before the Blessed Sacrament -- an amazing response for such a small parish with a congregation of so many college students!
Pope John Paul II via Dolorosa Garden -- This unique and beautiful outdoor garden, which includes a life-sized Stations of the Cross, is located next to Holy Cross Church and adjacent to the American Cemetery. This project offers parishioners, students, and visitors to Holy Cross a unique way to experience peace and solitude as Christ's passion is prayed. Stations of the Cross are held during the Fridays of Lent at 5:30 pm in Via Dolorosa Garden, weather permitting. On Good Friday Stations of the Cross will be at 2:00 pm in the Garden, with the veneration of the Cross at 3:00 pm in Church.