We live hectic lives in a chaotic world.
All this can lead to a confusion that fogs the mind, unsettles the soul, and leads to poor decisions. Amidst such chaos and confusion, we long to hear God’s voice with greater clarity.
God wants to put things in order. He wants to rearrange our priorities. If we let him, we will be happier than we ever thought possible in this lifetime, and finally then we will come to know the peace for which we all yearn, but so few of us ever find. Our Catholic spirituality is constantly inviting us to establish the deep roots of order in our lives, and one of the best ways I know to do that is by praying the Rosary.
The Rosary works. It’s a very powerful way to pray. There is just something about it that settles our hearts and minds. It puts everything in perspective and allows us to see things as they really are. It reaches deep down into our souls and puts us at ease, creating a peace that is rare and beautiful.
If you’ve been away from the home of Church for any length of time and desire to return, consider starting with the simple practice of praying the rosary. Here are 10 tips to help you get started:
• Say the rosary in moments of sadness or spiritual drought.
• If you can’t pray a whole rosary at once, break it into parts.
• Use each mystery to ask for a particular intention.
• Pray while you walk and think of the people in your life.
• If you’re upset, pray for the situation that worries you.
• Use images and music. The rosary is a contemplative prayer.
• Recite the rosary while doing chores or while you work out.
• Say it while you wait in line at the store, the bank, or in the carpool line.
• Carry a rosary in your pocket.
• Simplest of all, fall asleep praying the rosary.
Praying the rosary makes us better children, parents, spouses, neighbors, co-workers, and friends. It teaches us to slow down, surrender, and listen. It is the perfect prayer for busy people in a busy, noisy, confused world.
Develop a habit of praying the rosary, and discover the treasures of this powerful, ancient prayer. Try Matthew Kelly’s new book, “Rediscover the Rosary: The Modern Power of An Ancient Prayer” for help in getting started.