The town of Evergreen was founded as an English Protestant community in the midst of French Avoyelles parish around 1822.
St. Theresa's Church began as a mission of St. Anthony's in Bunkie in 1928.
In 1933, it was organized as an independent parish by Bishop Daniel Desmond. Fr. Herman Couvillion served as the first pastor.
During the 1960's repairs were made to the church and to its mission chapel, St. Charles, in Goudeau.
In 1997, a new rectory was built and in 2000-2001 a new hall was added to the parish plant. Repairs to the hall and to the church roof were completed by Fr. Daniel Corkery who was also responsible for overseeing the beautification of the church interior before his retirement in 2009.